National Trivia Day may have been January 4th, but we celebrate trivia every week on Tuesdays at 7 pm! But in the meantime, we want to show our appreciation for one of our favorite activities. This month, we’re talking all things trivia, and who knows, maybe some of these facts will help you at your next trivia night! And in the meantime, when you’re searching for “bars near me,” come on over to Area 23!
But First, A Little History
The history of trivia as a game or pastime can be traced back to the 1950s and 1960s. This was when bar patrons in the United States would gather to play games and answer questions. These games became known as “trivia contests,” often consisting of questions about popular culture, like movies, music, and TV shows. The popularity of these contests grew, and soon they were being held in bars and taverns all over the country, such as Area 23!
Trivia games and quizzes began to gain more mainstream popularity in the 1970s and 1980s, with the advent of TV game shows like “Jeopardy!” and “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire”. These shows helped to make trivia a household activity, and sparked a renewed interest in questions and facts about a wide range of topics.
Fun Facts About Trivia!
- The world’s largest trivia contest is held annually in Stevens Point, Wisconsin. The event, which started in 1973, features over 5,000 participants and lasts for 52 hours straight.
- The Guinness World Record for the most questions answered correctly in one minute is 39. This was achieved by Ashrita Furman on the set of Lo Show dei Record, in Milan, Italy in 2010.
- The annual Trivia Night held at the University of California, Berkeley is the largest student-run philanthropy event in the world.
- Trivia games were first introduced in the United States in the early 1960s.
- Trivia games can be found in various formats such as board games, mobile apps, and online quizzes.
- There’s a website and mobile app called Trivia Crack, where you can play trivia against friends or random players worldwide!
- The word “trivia” comes from the Latin “tri-” meaning “three” and “via” meaning “ways” or “roads”.
Searching for “Bars Near Me”? Come Visit Area 23!
You’ll always be able to find something to do at Area 23 when you search for “bars near me.” Whether it’s trivia night, open mic night, live music, and more! If you’re interested in what other happenings we have going on, we encourage you to visit our website for more information about our weekly events! We’re open Tuesday through Thursday from 4 pm to 12 am and Friday and Saturday from 12 am to 12 pm. We hope to see you soon!